Sunday, March 14, 2010

Why Is Everyone So Early For Church?



Something I pride myself on is being on time for important things, especially church. I hate being late and make every effort to be on time. That is a bit more of a challenge since we live about 20 minutes away now, but we have still managed to make it on time, or have been very close, each Sunday. This Sunday I wanted to leave early because I had to speak in Sacrament Meeting (the main meeting for our church where we have the "Lord's Supper" or Sacrament, I think comparable to "Communion") and I had to teach the lesson for our children's group. I thought it was odd that my neighbors left their house at 7:30, I saw them drive away and assumed they may be going out of town for the day. We left for church to get there about 15 minutes early and as I drove by one side of the building I noticed there were a lot of cars and thought, "There must be some meeting before church today, glad I don't have to go to that." Then I pulled in the other side of the parking lot and my heart about stopped. The lot was full, "Why is everyone... Oh No!! Daylight Savings Time, and some other words that I don't let my kids say." I ran into the church while Mike parked the van and herded the kids into the lobby. I could feel my face turn bright red as I walked into the chapel and noticed a couple of smiles and chuckles. I was so embarrassed. As the speaker ended we sang the "rest hymn" (Why do they call it that? We all stand up and sing, no rest there.) I gave my talk in the time that was left and it went well. I didn't even cry until the end. The topic was, "That your burdens may be light." I of course bawled when I talked about leaving Elkhorn and how the Lord helped us through other people and helped strengthen us, etc. The worst part about the whole thing was that I don't think I put enough deodorant on and I felt like I was starting to smell myself. I had the lesson in primary and continued to sweat, so I just tried to not stand near anyone. Sorry to any whose noses were offended. I do have to say that I did not mind having church for only 2 hours, if I didn't have to speak it would have been no problem. Well, the kids will go to bed earlier tonight and I can read my book. "All is well".

2 comments:

Macey said...

I can't believe you didn't take that totally legit way out of your talk. I'm sure your talk was fantastic though.

kristen said...

Which excuse, my tardiness or my stinkiness??