Thursday, March 4, 2010

Easy Caramel Sauce - Great for Caramel Popcorn, Ice Cream Sundaes, or Dipping Apples


This stuff is addictive and I LOVE it. My sister in law, Yo, requested this posting. I found this on About.com when I was searching for a recipe for caramel popcorn. But I have used it over ice cream and for apple dipping sauce. I add vanilla to mine. This blows away McD's apple dippers. Hope you enjoy.
Ingredients:
2 cups light brown sugar
1 stick butter
1 cup light corn syrup
1 can sweetened condensed milk
I add 1 to 2 teaspoons of vanilla
(If you are using it for popcorn the recipe calls for 3 quarts popped popcorn. I like to add craisins and pecans or walnuts to the caramel popcorn. Soooooo good.)

Bring the sugar, butter and corn syrup to a boil. Remove from heat, add vanilla. Mix it in and then add sweetened condensed milk (I add 1/3 of the can at a time and make sure it is mixed in well). Return to heat and cook for another minute or two, stirring constantly. If you are using this on ice cream and plan on keeping it in a plastic container, let it cool for a bit before you put it in the container. Store in the fridge and reheat in the microwave about 10 seconds at a time, checking to see if it is soft enough. If using for popcorn pour over popcorn. I have found the easiest way to do this is to spray a very big pot or heat proof bowl with cooking spray. Fill it about 2/3 with the popcorn and then pour some of the syrup over it. Estimate on how many pots of popcorn you can have and pour the corresponding amount of sauce over it. Then I spread it on a greased cookie sheet and let it cool. It is soooooo good. I can eat the sauce by the spoonful, and pop a few chocolate chips in my mouth between bites. So good.

No comments: