Friday, March 26, 2010

Greek Salad


I am on a salad kick lately and it has been great. I looked up three different Greek salad recipes and decided to make up my own. It turned out really well. The only thing I would do differently is add about 1 teaspoon of brown mustard, just to give it a little more flavor (and I forgot to put olives on mine, oh well). If I had some grilled chicken that would have perfected it.


Ingredients:
Spinach, romaine lettuce, whatever greens you have
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Red or Yellow Peppers
Red onion (optional, and I would soak it in some red wine vinegar to take away some of the bite of it)
Sliced mushrooms (optional)
Feta Cheese (as much as you want)
Black olives or Kalamta olives

Dressing:
1/4 Cup Extra virgin olive oil
1/4 Cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic (I just use it from a jar)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon brown mustard
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of ground oregano (I didn't have the dried leaves, otherwise I would have used that. The amount just depends on how much you like it.)
pepper to taste

Mix greens and whatever veggies you are using. Mix dressing in blender or other container. Dump dressing over salad and mix to coat greens and veggies. I have also marinated the veggies in the dressing and then used them in single portions over the salad if I am using it for a few meals.

No comments: