Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tomato, Red Pepper, and Onion Salsa

I finally found cilantro at the store (I was so excited) and they also had a great deal on red peppers. I used to make this when I went to Sam's Club and could get those multi-colored pepper packs for a great price. This stuff is really good. I found a recipe for "Garlic Pepper Sauce" at http://www.marthastewart.com/ and then made some changes (you can go to her site to look at her recipe). I use this not only as salsa, but also in black bean soup, and tacos. It is very healthy and the kids love it too. You will need a blender or food processor. This made about 6 cups for me. I freeze it for whenever I need it. For salsa it is best fresh, but for everything else just thaw when you need it.

Ingredients:
Extra virgin olive oil (2 Tablespoons to 1/4 cup, depending on how much you like.)
2 large sweet onions, diced
4 or 5 red peppers, diced
3 teaspoons of minced garlic (6 cloves if you are ambitious.)
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 28oz. can of tomatoes (Do not drain, use entire can.)
3 Tablespoons lime juice1 1/2 to 2 large bunches of fresh cilantro (You can just chop the whole cilantro bunch up, you don't need to tear off all of the leaves.)
Jalapeno peppers to taste (I didn't do that this time, but I would probably use 2 for this recipe)
salt and pepper to taste (It does need a bit of salt, but I don't ever measure that, just keep adding it until it tastes right).

Cut up onion and peppers. Heat up a large pan, add oil. When it is heated add onions and saute until they are almost clear. Add pepper, garlic, cumin, and tomatoes. After about 10 minutes add lime juice cook for about 5 minutes more. Add cilantro and jalapenos and remove from heat. When mixture cools enough, puree in blender or food processor. Serve as salsa or use this in black bean soup, tacos, refried beans, tortilla soup, add some black beans and corn for a twist, or cook chicken in it. There are many possibilities.


2 comments:

d.n.williamson said...

Okay. I started mine.

www.nicoleiskeepingitsimple.blogspot.com

kristen said...

I'll be a "follower".