Thursday, March 18, 2010

BBQ Chicken Pizza


One of my favorite things to make is homemade pizza. I have a good mixer, so it does most of the work, I just add the stuff. My one child complains when I make this because he prefers the store bought pizza, the kind that is as thin as a cracker, so he is often disappointed.



Ingredients:
3 cups flour, plus some extra (I use half all purpose flour and half whole wheat)
1 cup water
1 to 2 Tablespoons of sugar (I like it to taste a little sweet)
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon salt (some people may want more salt)
cornmeal
BBQ sauce
Cooked chicken, chopped or shredded (probably about as much as one chicken breast)
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Sliced red onion (optional)
Chopped cilantro (optional, but oh so good), About 2 Tablespoons


Heat water (I put mine in the microwave for about 45 seconds) until very warm, but not hot. Add yeast, salt, sugar and let yeast activate (it will start foaming) for a few minutes. Put 1 cup of flour in mixing bowl. Add water and yeast mixture and mix well. Add the rest of the flour 1 cup at a time. Continue to knead in mixing bowl until dough is mixed well and no longer sticking to the sides. I usually have to add at least another 1/2 cup flour to get it right. Add a little bit of oil to mixing bowl and turn dough in it to coat. Cover and let it rise for about an hour. Preheat oven to 425. Sprinkle corn meal on pizza pan and roll out dough. Add sauce, chicken, cheese, onions and cilantro. Bake until cheese is melted and crust is a little golden brown (mine usually takes about 15 minutes on a 15 inch round pizza pan). We enjoy dipping the crust in a little olive oil mixed with balsamic vinegar.

No comments: