Saturday, March 13, 2010

REALLY GREAT banana bread


So, I made a new rule for myself that I wasn't just going to snack on chocolate chips right out of the bag anymore, that they had to be in something for me to eat them. I did this thinking that I would eat less junk. Well, I made banana bread today and I am sure I ate a cups worth of CC's in calories, but I guess I got a serving of fruit too, right? Rationalizing is one of my talents. Here's the recipe, hope you enjoy. I have to put a plug in for my husband. He made the cutting board in this picture. This has become a very cool talent, one from which I have benefited greatly. I can't find the cord to download pictures to the computer, when I find it I will add a picture.

Ingredients:
4 ripe bananas
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup plain non fat yogurt (you can also use sour cream, or vanilla yogurt)
2/3 cup applesauce (I like to use applesauce instead of oil)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

2 cups flour (I have used half whole wheat flour before and it has turned out well. I am giving some away and didn't know if the person I am giving it to would like it that way, so this is all white flour).
1 1/4 teaspoons of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup chocolate chips (I prefer the mini chips, but did not have any on hand.)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. This recipe makes either 2 large loaves, 4 small loaves, or 1 large and 2 small loaves (you can figure out any other size combos). Mash bananas, add sugar, eggs, yogurt, applesauce, and vanilla. Mix well. Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Add them to the banana mixture. Add chocolate chips. Pour batter into greased pans. Bake large pans 1 hour, small pans about 45 to 50 minutes. I usually cut up one loaf while it is warm and enjoy it with some butter, and then give the other loaf away. Enjoy!!

3 comments:

controlling craziness said...

Nice to know I am not the only one who eats chocolate chips right out of the bag. Sometimes you just need a quick chocolate fix and don't feel like making a whole cake. By the way, that bread was delicious. I could have eaten the whole thing myself if the kids didn't see it. Thanks.

kristen said...

I should have given 2 loaves. I think I ate a whole one by myself. Glad you liked it. It was gone very quickly at our house too.

Abby goes to the cupboard, points, and says, "chips?" for chocolate chips. I had to move them to the freezer for safer keeping.

Heather said...

Sounds yummy! Guess I am going to have to stop feeding the kid the bananas so I can make some banana bread!