Friday, March 19, 2010

No, I am NOT Smarter than a 5th grader, or a 3rd grader.



Ever had this happen...
1) "Mom, I need help on this one." I walk confidently over to my child who totally thinks I know everything because I always seem to have the answers. "How do I do a probability tree to figure out this fractions of blah, blah, blah..." My head starts spinning and I have a flash back of Algebra 2, Geometry, and Trig, classes where I clearly had no place as a student. I was in the "gifted"math class, I am thinking that when we took the test I filled in the circles to make a design and they just happened to be right. I used to make up answers in those classes because I was clueless and if I could get a "C" it was weighted as a "B" and that was good enough for me. I jump as I have the flash back of my Trig teacher throwing the chalk at me after I give him a made up answer. My pulse is racing and I break into a cold sweat... "Mom, are you ok?" I look over the problem and then tell her I will be right back. I went and got her dad to help, and told her, "Mom's brain just can't concentrate right now." So, I think I am starting to understand why kids think their parent's don't know anything.
2) Thankfully, the next question she asks is for me to help her find the definition of a math term. Thank you, google. So, we entered it and could not find it. I emailed the teacher, assuring her that I did go to school, and completed 5th grade math, but cannot remember that far back and can't find this term on line. Apparently it was a spelling error, sigh of relief.
3) My third grader forgot his spelling list, so I called a parent to get them over the phone. Bad idea. She gave me the words and I didn't know how to spell some of them either. Very, very sad. I need to read more I guess, do some crosswords, suduko or something to revive the brain cells. I am thankful for spell check so that at least he didn't go to school with the words spelled wrong, we got them figured out.
At least my youngest 3 kids still think I know everything.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love it!

Boogie On Reggae Woman said...

Austin brought his homework back after the first week of 1st grade and I had no idea how to do it. They are teaching them so differently now. Crazy.