Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Pork taco lettuce wraps


This is a meal that takes minutes to make if you have several of the ingredients as left overs from previous meals. It is also known as ,"whatever is left in my fridge" or "Kristen surprise". I will often make a roast one night, then make this another night, then make Tortilla Soup that I posted earlier with the leftovers from this meal. I roast and puree the veggies, just because of the battle I am too tired to fight at dinner time. I roast several veggies and freeze them, then thaw and puree them when I am ready to use them. The picture of this would be so much prettier if I had not pureed the veggies, and if I had some fresh cilantro (so missing that!!!). You can also serve these on tortillas, taco shells, or with chips.

Ingredients:
Left over roast or chicken; or about 1 pound of ground beef, or other meat
1 onion
1 red pepper (I prefer Red, but others work, no prejudice here)
Olive Oil
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 to 2 cups of rice (cooked just depends on how much you need to make enough to feed everyone)
1 to 2 tsp. lime juice
1 can of beans (I prefer black, but whatever you have works)
1 tsp. chili powder (you can also use a packet of fajita seasoning instead of these three spices)
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
Salt and pepper to taste
Romaine, Redleaf, or Boston lettuce (to wrap them in)
Serve with Tortillas, nachos, or on lettuce
Top with salsa, chopped tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, avocados

If the meat needs to be cooked, heat up a little bit of oil in a pan and cook the meat (If I have to cook the meat I always drain it when it is cooked, so as not to add more fat to the meal). Add garlic and spices to meat. Cut up and saute veggies (or cut up, drizzled with olive oil, and roast in the oven at 450 for 35 to 40 min, stirring once). Add to meat, add lime juice. After veggies are cooked add beans and rice to meat and cook until flavors combine.

No comments: