Friday, February 12, 2010

Oatmeal Cookie Breakfast




My kids (husband included) built a big snow fort on our back porch and decided it was warm enough to sleep in it. I wanted to have something warm for them for breakfast in the morning, so I made one of my favorites "Oatmeal Cookie Breakfast". My sister-in-law made this for us one time when we were visiting and I was hooked. She got her recipe at About.com (recipe called Oatmeal Bake) and I have changed it a bit. I also saw on Stephanie O'Dea's website "A Year of Slow Cooking" at http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ (this is a fabulous website!!!) that you can cook this in the crock pot. So, I decided to give that a try. It turned out well and the kids liked it. It was gone very quickly. In fact, I made myself regular oatmeal because there wasn't enough.

Ingredients:

4 cups oats (you can use regular or quick, not steel cut for this recipe)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/4 cup ground flax seeds (or you can grind up some nuts or something, or just leave this out)
1 1/4 cup milk
3 eggs
1 Tsp. vanilla
3 Tbsp. melted butter

This is a great recipe to get "deceptively delicious" with and add some pureed pumpkin, sweet potato, or butter nut squash. I have done it before, added about 1/2 a cup and then used only 1 cup of milk. I sprinkle mine with a few chocolate chips so that it looks like a cookie

Mix dry ingredients together. Add wet ingredients, or visa verca. People have different theories about that, I don't think it matters for this one. If baking in oven, preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 8x8 pan. Spread ingredients in pan and cook for 45 minutes. If using crockpot, I used a 6 qt CP and cooked mine on low for about 3 hours (I have to get up in the middle of the night a few times, so before I went to bed I mixed the dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in another and just mixed it all together when I got up and went back to bed). If you turn off the crockpot and let it sit for an hour it is suppossed to get very moist. Spoon into bowls and serve with milk over it. You can also just have it as a snack, kind of like a bar cookie.

4 comments:

d.n.williamson said...

I'm gonna try this today for "brunch". I had some blood work done a few weeks ago and my cholesterol was super high, so I am eating oatmeal every day. This sounds like a nice change. I've tried a different "Baked Oatmeal" recipe too that I really like. Thanks for sharing. PS-I see I was mentioned in the sandwich blog. Sweet!

kristen said...

Had to give my partner in cooking a shout out.

d.n.williamson said...

It is in the oven as I speak...here is our version. (After I try yours, I might destroy this other version...we'll see!)

3 c Oatmeal
1 c Brown Sugar (I use less)
1 tsp soda
2 tsp powder
2 eggs
1 c applesauce
1 c milk
your choice of fruit/nuts (diced apples, raisins, blueberries...)

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes in a greased 8 X 12

d.n.williamson said...

Thanks Kristen. It was good. LOVED the chocolate chips. My recipe is different enough though that I'm keeping both recipes. Much different texture. Mine is more cakelike.