Sunday, February 14, 2010

Coke and Onion Pork Roast and Roast Veggie "fries"




Today is Sunday and we usually have vanilla crepes and caramel syrup for dinner because it is easy and really, really, really yummy. I wanted to try something different today, which is just as easy and a bit healthier. I had a pork roast and have always heard about people marinating it in Coke (the soda) and then cooking it, so I decided to try it. I marinated my frozen roast in Coke all night, put in the crock pot, sprinkled it with onion soup mix. It was the most tender roast I have ever made. I also made veggie "fries". I love these because the kids like them and they are way lower in fat than normal french fries. We also had the rest of our salad too.

Ingredients:
Pork roast (I used a center cut loin roast, 2-3 pounds)
1 can of Coke
1 envelope of onion soup mix

Marinate roast in Coke. Put roast in crockpot and sprinkle with onion soup mix. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, use a meat thermometer to make sure roast is fully cooked.

Veggie Fries:
Potatoes peeled and cut in sticks
Carrots peeled and cut into sticks, or baby carrots
Sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into sticks (I found white sweet potatoes at the store, my kids thought they were regular potatoes.)
You could also use butternut squash too.
Extra virgin olive oil (use as little as 1 Tbsp or as much as 1/3 cup, depending on how many veggies you have.)
Italian season dressing mix or ranch dressing mix or season with salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425 or 450 degrees. Drizzle oil over veggies, sprinkle with seasoning and mix to coat all veggies. Cook for 20 minutes. Stir veggies around and cook for another 20 minutes.

2 comments:

The Snow Queen said...

I 'm going to try this! When you put the roast in the crock pot did you put the coke mairnade in with it? Did you put new liquid in the crock pot with it?

kristen said...

I put some of the marinade in, maybe about 1/2 cup. I think it absorbs a lot of it when it marinates because after it was done cooking there was a lot of liquid in the crock pot. I turned off my crock pot when my meat thermometer said it was done and just let it sit for a little while (maybe like 20 minutes) with the lid vented a little. Let me know how it turns out. We are making it again on Sunday, I don't have Coke, so I am going to try Sprite instead and maybe add some soy sauce or worcestershire (however you spell it) sauce.