Sunday, February 21, 2010

Celia's Chocolate Chip Cookies

When we lived in Madison, WI, my friend, Celia, made THE BEST chocolate chip cookies I had ever tasted. She is such a talented cook and I have several recipes that are labeled "Celia's". The only things I change in this recipe are I use real butter instead of crisco (I know if you use crisco or shortening it makes the cookies softer, and it is really good, I just never have that on hand), use 1 Tablespoon of vanilla (because I LOVE that stuff), and if I am ambitious I grind up oatmeal and use half ground oats half flour. I was not ambitious this time. You can add the oats, not grinding them up, and then add a little more flour. These are addictive. I use the evaporated milk when I have it on hand, and then make something that calls for that in the next few days so that the leftover milk doesn't go bad (it gets nasty if you don't use it soon). Hope you enjoy and don't eat too many of these. You can also bake these in a bar pan. I am so missing my double oven in the house we sold. Making cookies takes so much longer now. Try them warm with milk, YUMMO!! Heat them up in the microwave if they are not fresh from the oven.
Ingredients:
1 cup butter (Celia uses butter flavor crisco and it works great too)
1 cup sugar
2 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup evaporated milk
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla (I use 1 Tablespoon)
5 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 12 oz. package of chocolate chips (Sometimes I add 1 1/2 packages because I have one package open, and figure, more chocolate is good.)

Cream butter, add sugars. Once they are mixed add eggs, vanilla, evaporated milk. In a large bowl mix flour, salt, and baking soda together. Add to other mixture one cup at a time. Once flour is mixed in well add choc.chips. Bake at 350, mine are done in about 12 to 15 min. Let them cool a little before you feed them to your kids and husband who keep asking, "Are they ready yet?" so that they don't get burns from the melted chocolate chips. Have a large glass of milk and plenty of napkins. My 20 month old is walking around with chocolate all over her hands and mouth saying "Momma, cookie, Momma, cookie." Now I hear her in the fridge. Time to go manage the chaos.

No comments: