Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Chicken Parmesan


This is just how I make this, not a tried and tested recipe. It tastes good and my kids love it. They call it chicken nuggets, tastes way better than McD's though. I have Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook, Deceptively Delicious, and she has a great way to sneak veggies into this. She suggests pureeing broccoli or carrots, mixing it with 1 egg (if I remember correctly) and then dipping the chicken in that combo, then the bread crumbs. I have done it before and it is tasty. my kids loved it, but I was not that ambitious this time. I am making this for a friend and didn't know her kids would react to the greenish tint under the breadcrumbs. My kids tried to scrape it off, but I told them if they wanted more they had to eat the whole thing and they couldn't even taste it if they eat it with the sauce and cheese. So, if you are feeling like you need more veggies, you can check out her book. It has a lot of great recipes. I started sneaking veggies in before I read it, and this has added to may selection of food I can vegetably alter to get more vitamins into the kids. Mike liked it too and didn't mind the green under the breadcrumbs. This is a great dish to make ahead and cook when it is time. I prefer to prepare my dinner in the morning while I listen to my other friends, on talk radio (food and talk radio are my friends since moving here. I spend the most time with them), and then my kitchen is clean (by clean, I mean the pots and pans are cleaned up, the kitchen is never really clean because it is always in use) for the day and dinner is made.

Ingredients:
Chicken tenders or boneless skinless chicken breasts (If you are using the chicken breasts my mom says you should "pound" the meat to make it more tender. I got tenders on sale at a great price, so that is what I used this time. If I use the chicken breasts I cut them into smaller chunks so that I have more pieces to distribute among our family.)
Bread crumbs (I like Italian style)
1/4 to 1/2 cup Parm cheese, grated or shredded (I have made it without Parmesan cheese and it has been fine, but I still call it chicken parm)
2 eggs beaten
Olive oil
1 to 2 jars of your favorite pasta sauce, depending on how much you are making.
Cheese (I usually use mozzarella or provolone. Today I had slices of provolone) to top chicken
Pasta to serve CP over, or you can make them CP sandwiches, so you would need rolls. Always check the discount shelf in the store, rolls can be more than half price and still good for a few days after you purchase them.

Preheat oven to 350. Beat eggs in a bowl. Mix breadcrumbs and Parm cheese in another bowl. Heat 2 to 3 Tablespoons of Olive oil in a large fry pan. Dip chicken in egg, then breadcrumbs, carefully place in hot pan. Cook chicken in pan until bottom side is brown, turn and brown the other side. You are just browning it, not cooking it all the way. Spray 8 by 8 or 9 by 13 pan with cooking spray. Spread some sauce in bottom of pan. After chicken is done browning place pieces in baking pan. Spread the rest of the sauce over the chicken. Top with slices of cheese (or grated cheese if you have that). Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Make sure chicken is done cooking before serving. There have been times when I used chicken breasts and they were really thick, so they took longer. If the chicken breasts are thicker, you can slice them in half so that they are half as thick. Serve over pasta or on rolls. Sometimes this tastes even better the next day. I often make more than I need for dinner so that I can have the left overs for lunch.

No comments: