Friday, February 19, 2010

Breakfast Applesauce "Pan-Cake"


We all made the trip to the airport very late last night (yes, Macey, I did have my huge bag of carrots to help me stay awake. I am so missing Speedway for my soda combo. The local gas station does not have a soda fountain, seriously, but they do have a free air pump and really good hot chocolate. Anyway...)to get my husband who was killing himself working so hard at a conference in Vegas. (I know he works hard, but I just have to razz him a bit because he got to eat at the Belagio (spelling?) and see "The Blue Man Group" while I cleaned up puke, wiped a number of butts, and managed chaos (that I have chosen and love) here. I am thankful I get to be a SAHM, but going to the Belagio sounds good too.) Anyway, knowing that I didn't have enough cereal for more than 3 people and wanting to avoid any melt downs in the dawn getting ready for school, sometimes the hell hour, I decided to try the applesauce bars and make them into a "pan cake" recipe. So, I modified it a little and it turned out really well. The kids liked it and no one complained at all. We will be home all day today because we have a pukey kid. He fell asleep before we left last night to get Mike and 10 minutes before we were going to leave he woke up and puked all over the couch. So, we will be cleaning that a couple more times today. Enjoy your weekend. I look forward to a relaxing evening of taking a bubble bath, eating bon bons and painting my toe nails, RIGHT!! I don't think I can reach my toe nails to paint them right now, maybe I can do some cool yoga move to get to them. I think I will be folding laundry while I catch up on the rest of "Psych", "White Collar, and maybe "Leverage". I made a freezer dinner the other day, so we will just warm that up. Love the cook one serve 3 or 4 times idea. Thank you for whoever let me in on that one. Time to vacuum and clean bathrooms while listening to Glenn Beck. He makes me laugh so hard, especially when he and his crew imitate Arlen Spector, who is from our state. It is a riot. I am missing listening and calling into Charlie Sykes, ah Charlie, I know your life has moved on, but I miss our mornings together. Just kidding, I am not that pathetic. Have a good weekend!!
Inrgredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour (for the one I made I used 1/2 cup ground oats, 1 cup whole wheat flour, and 1/2 cup ground flax seeds (because I have a ton of them).)
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 to 1/2 cup softened butter (depending on how much you want to put in. Usually, the more butter added, the moister this will be. If you are trying to cut fat, use less.)
1/2 cup sugar (I think next time I will try brown sugar)
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups applesauce
1/2 cup pureed sweet potato

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a rimmed cookie sheet (jelly roll pan some may call it). Mike first 4 ingredients. Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture. Add applesauce and sweet potato. Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 min. Serve warm with butter and syrup. I made mine the night before and then just warmed them up when people were ready to eat.

No comments: