Sunday, February 21, 2010

Managing Chaos - Entry 2 - I got to go to the store by myself, but then who is managing the chaos at home?

This actually happened on Saturday, but it is written like it happened today.


The morning started off fine. My 9 year old, Joe, came in at 6:30 wanting to watch TV. I told him after I did my workout DVD. I love doing Jillian Michael's "30 Day Shred" because a lot of it I can still do even though I am pregnant. I am no where close to shredded, more like a chunk, but it makes me sweat and feel stronger. I did my workout, Joe made his breakfast. I showered, I even did my hair (seriously, I totally fit in with the Amish and Mennonite people here who just wear their hair up in a bun or some other way.) and was ready for the day.


I needed a few things from the store and knowing that it was my only chance to go by myself, I managed to escape. I left and a couple of children had eaten, but figured Mike could handle the rest, make eggs and toast or something. Now my kitchen was by no means spotless before I left, but it was definately functional.

I had such a nice, quiet stroll at the store, Dutch Way. No one asking me to get anything, I didn't count to 3 so someone would come back to the cart. It was just me. They had their big meat sale today and I found a few other bargains. 3 gallons of milk for 90 cents, yes I got 3 gallons of milk for $2.70, and the sell by date is this Wednesday, it would be gone by then. After feeling the high that I get when I find an exceptional bargain (seriously, getting a fabulous bargain is like a drug to me) I drove home in a cloud and walked in the door to what awaited me. There were plates all over the stove and counter, milk and eggs still out, empty lunchmeat or cheese bag from the store on the coutner, shredded cheese (that could not be use in the eggs because it was growing stuff) dumped in the sink, on top of a bunch of dishes that didn't get done last night because Danielle went to a friend's house, plates on the table with a few small puddles of milk, kids lounging in front of the TV, and a stressed husband (who had thankfully made the kids their favorite "Daddy eggs" for breakfast) trying to get out the door to get to a call (he was on call) to help a sick cow. Remember that high I was feeling, trying to hold onto it I took a deep breath and said to myself, "Don't freak out, don't freak out." I don't know if these people just think that this magically gets cleaned up when I wave my "Magical Mommy Wand" or if there are elves that clean it up when we aren't looking.

I took another deep breath and started bringing stuff in from the car. Then in a calm voice I said, in a rather loud tone to be sure I was heard above whatever show was entrancing my children, "It is time to stop and help clean up. Joe and Sam are on the table clearing and wiping. Dani, I need you to please finish dishes from last night and this morning. Let's go." Remarkably and to my most utter amazement, they did it. We got the kitchen cleaned up and my bargain groceries put away in no time. They helped to get rid of the chaos, and it was so nice. I am learning that enrolling the kids in solving this craziness can help, sometimes. Other times I should just do it myself. But I need to look into that "Magic Mommy Wand". I wonder if they sell them on Ebay or Amazon, or if I can rent an elf somewhere. I am learning that I don't need to freak out when there is a huge mess, but need to calmly delegate. Most of the kids are good helpers, some need a bit more motivation. M&M's always seem to work (they work for me).

1 comment:

Macey said...

Kristen,

I miss you so much!!! I'm so glad I can read your blog. You are amazing!!! Keep it coming.