Friday, February 26, 2010

Homemade Yogurt - without a yogurt maker


Seriously, this really works and I LOVE it. I have a ton of strawberry "jam" that didn't jell very well and is really more like syrup and it is perfect to use to flavor the yogurt. You can also puree frozen fruit, or use this to make frozen yogurt. I got the recipe from A Year of Slow Cooking and it really works. I changed it a little and add that you really want to try to not lift the lid off of the crock pot while making this. Here is what you need:
Ingredients:
- 8 cups of whole milk (I used lowfat milk)
- 1/2 cup of plain yogurt (I used 3/4 to 1 cup because I figured I may need more because I didn't used the whole milk
- Fresh or frozen fruit for flavoring
- Large bath towel to wrap around crock pot


The How to:
This takes a little while, so you need to make sure that you make it on a day when you will be around to turn off your crock pot at the right time. Pour 8 cups of milk into your crock pot, cover and cook on low for 2 hours. I put a dish towel over mine to be a warning flag (do not open this or I will cut your fingers off). Unplug your crock pot, leaving it covered for 3 hours (so I usually start this at 2 or 3 in the afternoon). After 3 hours scoop out 2 cups of the milk and add the 1/2 cup (or in my case 3/4 cup) yogurt, whisk to make sure it is mixed in well. Add it back the crock pot making sure it is mixed in well. She says to wrap it in a heavy bath towel and let it sit over night (at least 8 hours). I turned mine on again and set the timer for 10 minutes (just because I felt it had cooled off too much). After 10 minutes I unplugged it, wrapped it in a bath towel, and let it sit for about 10 hours (overnight). It worked out well. Transfer yogurt to containers to save in your fridge. Blend in your favorite fresh or frozen fruit combos or use yogurt for smoothies. It should last 7 to 10 days. Stephanie O'Dea says to save 1/2 cup for your starter for next time, but I get creeped out about saving stuff like that. That "Amish Friendship Bread" tastes great, but I never do the starter and keep it thing. It grosses me out having it sit on my counter or in my cabinet fermenting, sorry all those who love it. That is just my own quirk.



No comments: