Sunday, February 21, 2010

Managing Chaos, Entry 3 - Conquering the Laundry room/mud room and then it comes, "MO-OM!!!!!!!!!!"

I am trying to eliminate or fix those area of my house where I want to close my eyes everytime I walk into them because they are so messy, or they are so disorganized I can't find anything in them. Today (Saturday) was the day, I was feeling ambitious and still having a high from getting 3 gallons of milk for $2.70 (Pathetic that this can be still fueling me an hour later, but it did. To each his own, or her own, right?) I was going to conquer the laundry/mud room, AKA the dumping zone. Some before and after pics are posted. I couldn't get all of the chaos that spilt over into the office and occupied the floor. Too much for the camera I guess. Seriously, the floor was covered.

First, I removed the laundry which I will fold tonight. Then I pulled out the shoe racks (that my very handy husband made) and vacuumed behind them and the shelves themselves. Matched up shoes and asked my 11 year old shoe addict to come in and remove at least 4 pair of shoes that didn't need to be in there. I got all of the jackets we don't wear right now out and hung them up in kids' closets. I put all 5 purses from my 11 year old (apparently there is also a purse issue) on one hook. I put all hats and gloves in the winter bin, found a couple of bras that had been drying, for like 3 weeks. They were definitely dry, I was very glad to find them. I shined my two favorite appliances and BFF's, my washer and dryer. Vacuumed up the gardens worth of extra dirt and mopped ( I also love my Swiffer Wet Jet. It is another good friend of mine.) Wow, it was so nice to walk through there. I felt so good and as I am relishing in my accomplishment and enjoying the clean smell from the my good friend, Swiffer, I hear, "MO-OM!" You know when they make mom sound like it really has 2 syllables. "Great, what now, I thought." Here it comes... either they are telling on each other or..."David just puked." I went in the front room and there the poor kid is standing in a puddle of eggs and whatever he had to drink that morning. I really thought I was going to add to the puddle that was there, but held it in. As I cleaned it up I had to find something to be thankful for at that moment. I was thankful that he had not puked on the carpet, or on me, and that he didn't puke on my nice clean laundry room floor. And I was thankful I could enjoy the good smell from my friend, Swiffer, again. If it isn't one thing, it's another. But at least my laundry room still looks great (going on 5 days clean now) and I no longer have to shut my eyes when I walk in it.

No comments: