Saturday, April 24, 2010

Triple Chocolate Overload Pie


This recipe is so easy, it just takes a little bit of time because you have to let the chocolate yummy stuff cool a bit. There are 3 parts to this: the chocolate crust (I just bought mine, found them 4 for $1.99), the chocolate mousse, and the chocolate filling and topping. Make sure you send all children and spouse outside if you don't want to share the spoons, whisk, saucepans and bowl used in this. I always have all of the ingredients in my house (except the crust) so this is really tempting not to make every week. I have added in my pureed veggies to this and the kids have not known the difference. I have added avocado and carrots (no, seriously, I have, sounds gross, but it puts some vitamins into it then) This is an awesome dessert to bring to a choco-holic friend. I made this for a dessert auction and it went for $40. Hope they enjoyed it.

Ingredients:
A pie shell, oreo cookie for the triple choc., or a regular one is fine too. I have also made it using the brownie recipe I posted awhile ago. Bake the brownies and then push them down in the pan so that they are thinner.

Mousse:

1 12 oz. package of chocolate chips

1/4 cup butter

1/4 cup milk

2 eggs

1 Container of Cool whip, or 2 cups of Whipping cream (whip it and add about 2 Tablespoons of powdered sugar, or regular sugar if you are out of PS.)

In a saucepan melt choc chips with butter and milk. Whisk in eggs one at a time. Cook over med to med-hi heat, whisking constantly so it doesn't burn. It will take about 5 minutes and mixture will thicken noticeably (it starts to look more like brownie mix). Let cool for about an hour. Whip cream in mixing bowl or put cool whip in mixing bowl. Add chocolate mixture and whip until well blended.

Chocolate Layer and Topping:

1 cup chocolate chips

2 Tablespoons butter

2 Tablespoons milk

Melt ingredients together in a saucepan. Let cool.
To assemble pie: Put half of the mousse in pie shell. Spread with half of the chocolate filling. Put the rest of the mousse on top. Spread the rest of chocolate topping over it. You could also add Oreos, Andes candies, Hershey Kisses. I had some strawberries, so that is what is topping my pie. Put in the fridge and remove about 15 to 30 minutes before serving.

You can also make this without the pie shell and just serve it in bowls.

No comments: