Thursday, April 8, 2010

Salsa Chicken Over Salad

This was so easy and very fast. I like to make things that I only have to stir a couple of times so that I can get all of the rest of the work done that is around here, or at least some of it. I made a red pepper salsa by roasting the peppers and onions, then pureeing with the tomatoes and the cilantro. Then heated up about 2 to 3 cups of cooked chicken that I had frozen, added 1 to 2 cups of the salsa (just depends on how "saucy" you want it) and just cooked it on the stove on low until it was heated through. My kids ate it with chips and my 9 year old told me about 5 times how awesome it was.

Ingredients:

3 colored peppers (I used the multi colored pack from Wal-mart)

1 sweet onion

1 bunch cilantro

2 Tablespoons olive oil

1 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes

Lime juice (about 2 tablespoons)

Lemon juice (about 1 tablespoon)

Sugar to taste (I usually add about 1 teaspoon)

Salt and pepper to taste

2 teaspoons of minced garlic

1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded (optional)

About 2 to 3 cups of cooked chicken (mine was shredded, you could chop it too, depending on how you are going to serve it)

Rice (If you want this meal to go further)

Beans (If you want this meal to go further)

Salad

Chips, optional

Tortillas or tostadas if you want to eat them that way


Preheat oven to 410 degrees (or whatever is closest) Cut up peppers (not jalapeno) and onion (so that they will fit in your blender or food processor), put in a 9 by 13 pan, drizzle with Olive oil. Roast for 40 minutes, stirring once. Wash and tear cilantro into pieces that will fit in your blender or food processor. Once veggies have cooled for a few minutes transfer them to a bowl. Add tomatoes, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper, sugar, lime and lemon juice. Working in batches puree mixture, I also added about 1 cup of cooked red beans, just thickens it up and adds some fiber too. In a pan or pot, warm chicken and 1 to 2 cups of salsa. I heated mine for about 45 min, just because I kind of forgot about it. It was really good over salad with some beans and tortilla chips. You will have salsa left to enjoy later too.

No comments: