Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Greek Veggie, Feta, and Bean Salad


I have been craving Greek Salad lately and wanted to try something new. This is one of those "let's see what I have in my fridge" recipes. If I had them I would have added olives, maybe some chopped up carrots, and even some chopped up chicken, turkey, or ham would be good too. You can use any combo of veggies for this salad. It turned out well and I will enjoy it all week long.

Ingredients:
2 Tomatoes, sliced
1 Cucumber, sliced
1 Yellow or Red pepper, diced
1/2 Red onion, sliced (soak in vinegar for about 10 minutes, it takes some of the bite away. this is a tip from my good friend, Nicole. She has a great blog at http://nicoleiskeepingitsimple.blogspot.com Lots of really good recipes.)
Feta cheese (However much you want. I used about 4 oz.)
Fresh Spinach, chopped (I used 1/2 a 6 oz. bag, but could use more)
Fresh Parsley, chopped (I didn't have any of this, but it would be really good in this salad)
1 28 oz. can of Garbanzo Beans (you could also use kidney beans, northern beans, a variety if you prefer)

Greek Salad Dressing:
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup Red Wine Vinegar (I was out so I used Balsamic Vinegar and it tasted really good)
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 to 1 tsp. minced garlic
A squirt of mustard
Salt and Pepper to taste
Blend ingredients (I put mine in "the magic bullet", but you could probably just shake them up really well in a jar)

Mix all ingredients together. Add dressing. Mix well and enjoy. You could use this over lettuce too, or in pasta salad.

2 comments:

d.n.williamson said...

Thanks for the shout out.

d.n.williamson said...

PS-Did you see your mention in the "Spicy Beef Bundles" (aka crappy olive bundles...). It was posted out of order. It is right before the baked chicken.