Sunday, April 18, 2010

Fruit Salad with Lime


The inspiration behind this salad came from my friend, Emmily's, "Momma". She is an amazing cook and always makes stuff that makes you say, "This is the best something I have ever had." When you ask her how she made it she says, "Oh, it was so easy, you just toss this with that." She makes some great stuff. Last summer I had a fruit salad kind of like this at Em's house. I can't remember exactly how Momma told me to make it, so I improvised. It turned out well.


Ingredients:
Assortment of fruit
Pineapple
Cantaloupe
Watermelon (didn't have any for mine)
Mango
Strawberries
Honey Dew (not there)
Blueberries (also missing)
3 limes, zested, and then squeeze the juice from them
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water

Zest limes and squeeze juice out of them into measuring cup (see note at the end). Measure as much sugar and water as you have lime juice (mine was about 1/4 cup). Mix them together in a small saucepan, bringing mixture to a boil. Let boil gently (stir a few times to make sure sugar is dissolving) for about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Cut up other fruit and mix together in a bowl, top with lime zest. When lime mixture is cooled pour it over fruit salad and mix. It tastes really good with the watermelon and other fruit that I didn't add to this salad this time. Enjoy.
Just a note, I tried to just throw the limes in the blender with the sugar and water and then boil the mixture. It tasted like soap and I threw it out before I added it to the fruit. Instead I didn't zest any limes and just used equal parts of bottled lime juice, sugar, and water. I added a little sugar after cooking the mixture to make it a little sweeter. The kids liked it better without the zest, they tried to pick it off before. It was really good with hondeydew and strawberries.

1 comment:

Macey said...

Oh Kristen, this looks so good!!!