Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sloppy Joes


This is my favorite Sloppy Joe recipe. When we lived in WI, there were a few stores that always had ground sirloin on sale, so I would make this often. I have tried different things with this recipe if I have been out of some of the ingredients and it has always turned out great. I cannot claim credit for it, it came from the kitchens of Food Network. That is a great website if you are ever looking for ideas for a creative and quick dinner.

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons oil (I use EVOO)
1 large onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced (I prefer to roast the onion and pepper in the oven at 400 for about 25 to 30 minutes and then puree them because then they actually get eaten and not picked out of the meat)
4 large cloves of garlic, minced (I use the bottled kind, 2 tsp.)
1 teaspoon marjoram (I have made it without this and it is still good. But better with it. If you want to get some, purchase a very small container, unless you use it a lot. I think I only use it in this and one other recipe)
2 pounds of ground beef (I prefer ground chuck or ground sirloin)
3 8 oz. cans of tomato sauce (I have pureed a 28 oz can of drained tomatoes and it worked fine)
3 Tablespoons sugar (I use brown sugar)
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (What is in that stuff? Whatever it is, I like it.)
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar (I have used regular vinegar too if I am out of RWV)
1 1/2 Tablespoons yellow mustard (I use the spicy brown kind and use more like 3 Tablespoons)
1/2 to 3/4 cup water to add if the SJ's seem too thick. (I never have had to add this much)

Heat oil in large pot. Add onions. Cook for a few minutes and then add red pepper. Cook until onions are clear. Add garlic, stir well (Do not let garlic turn brown or else it becomes bitter). Add marjoram. Set aside. Cook beef and drain (I also rinse it to remove excess fat). Add beef to veggies. Add all other ingredients except water. Stir and mix well. I usually simmer mine for about 30 minutes to let flavors blend. Add water as needed so that it is saucy enough, but not too runny. I like to top my SJ's with a slice of cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes. Enjoy!!

If you want to make this in your crock pot, just add all ingredients except water. Add that as needed.

This is really easy to make if you have cooked the meat ahead of time (Click here to see how having a prep day makes meal prep SOOOOOOOOOOO much easier).

No comments: