Sunday, July 11, 2010

Fresh Fruit Pie


Fresh fruit is one of my favorite things about summer. This is another recipe from my sister in law, Jayna. She used it to make peach pie. I used it with strawberries and blueberries and it was also really good. This picture is with blueberries. I use a 9 by 13 pan, but you can use 2 pie pans as well. The recipe for the crust is actually from a guy I dated a long, long time ago. It is super easy and really good.

Crust: (You could also use store bought pie crust. I just never have that on hand)
2 Cups flour
1 Cup butter
2/3 Cup brown sugar
1 Cup oatmeal

Combine ingredients in food processor or use a fork or pastry blender to cut the butter into the mixture. It is ready when it is crumbly. Press it into the pan or pie pans and bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Allow it to cool.

Mix:
8 oz. cream cheese (the lite kind)
1 Cup cool whip
4 Tablespoons of powdered sugar
Mix this together with mixer.

Spread cream cheese mixture onto cooled pie crust.

Top with fresh, uncooked fruit:
3 cups of fresh blueberries (or sliced strawberries or peaches)

Top with this mixture when cooled.
In heavy saucepan combine:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
dash of salt
about 2 cups of blueberries (or if using strawberries or peaches, 2 cups of pureed strawberries or peaches. I didn't puree the blueberries because for some reason they don't puree well in my magic bullet.)
2 Tablespoons of cornstarch
2 Tablespoons of lemon juice

Cook and stir until bubbly and color changes slightly. The mixture will darken and become more glossy as fruit and sugar gel. Set aside to cool. (I usually make the crust while this is cooling)

I usually top the pieces with fresh whipped cream or cool whip. This is a great summer treat that is always a hit.

2 comments:

d.n.williamson said...

I LOVE this crust recipe. I use it all the time too. I couldn't remember if you got the frosting recipe or the crust recipe from the old BF. Now I know! I think I will post the crust on my blog too one of these days. Glad to see you back in the blogging world. Man, how do Aleca and Cheri get so many followers? I have 21.

kristen said...

I only have 5, but that is okay. It is more an outlet for me more than anything