Saturday, July 31, 2010

Peach Ice Cream

I love making homemade ice cream, one of my favorite parts of summer. I found this recipe on line, "Deluxe Peach Ice Cream". For some reason the link won't work for it so I posted it below, but I got it at www.food.com. I had to cut it in half for my ice cream maker (I have one that is 1.75 qts), the recipe I posted makes 1 gallon. I think next time I will leave out the eggs and skip the cooking step, just to save time. It was really good and I could have just had it as a shake after it cooled in the fridge. This very refreshing, I want to serve it with peach cobbler sometime, sounds good.

Ingredients for 1 gallon of ice cream:
6 cups mashed peaches (I boiled them for a few minutes, peeled and pitted them then mashed them)
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 quart milk
1 cups whipping cream (I used a full 1 cup in mine, and then only used 2 cups of milk)
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract.

1. Mix mashed peaches and 1 cup of sugar in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, beat eggs until they are frothy
3. In another bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups sugar, flour, and salt
4. Gradually add sugar mixture to eggs, mixing until thick.
5. Add milk, mix well.
6. Pour egg mixture into a large pot, cook over low heat stirring constantly (I had mine at heat level 7 and it took about 5 minutes to thicken), about 15 minutes until mixture thickens and coats a metal spoon.
7. Remove pot from heat and set in cold water, stir gently until it is cool. (I just put mine in the fridge and stirred it when I remembered it was there, tasting it several times to make sure it was still edible (It was really good!!!)).
8. Add cream and vanilla, mix well.
9. Add peaches, mix well.
10. Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to directions for ice cream maker.

If you skip the eggs and just do the milk and cream it would make the recipe much easier. But it was really good this way too. Enjoy!!

No comments: