Sunday, July 11, 2010

Jayna's Junior League Salad - Salad with Substance!!!

Looking for a salad that the men in your family will love? This is the one. My sister in law, Jayna, gave me this recipe awhile ago. We have had this salad probably 4 or 5 times in the past month. Everyone love it because it has substance to it and tastes AWESOME!!! I changed the recipe she gave me a little bit. Here it is:

1 head romaine lettuce, torn and rinsed
1 bag of baby spinach
1/2 pound of bacon (cooked and crumbled) (I usually cook the whole pound and then save the other part to make the salad again, or use it to make the bacon and pasta dish I have)
1 cup shredded swiss cheese
1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese (I use Italian cheese blend if I can't find shredded parm)
2/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
1 cup croutons (optional)
2 cups tomatoes, diced (grape tomatoes work very well)
I also added chicken to this one. I marinated it in the dressing for the salad. Soooo good.

Dressing:
3/4 cup Olive oil
1/4 cup Lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
3 cloves minced garlic (I used the chopped kind in the jar)
1 Tablespoon sugar

Combine ingredients for dressing in blender, let sit for 3 hours (the flavors mix well if it sits for that long). For this salad I added some fresh parsley that a friend had given me and it was good in the dressing. I used about half the dressing and marinated about 1 lb. of chicken tenders. Cooked the chicken. Combine salad greens and then add cheeses, bacon, almonds, tomatoes, chicken, croutons, toss with dressing just before serving. This is great to serve with grilled meat. I think when we get a real grill I will top it with grilled steak, doesn't that sound good?

No comments: