Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Chocolate Zucchini Bread and/or Cake




I got this recipe from my friend, Julie, that I met in Madison. She got it from our friend Bev, also a fellow Madisonite for awhile. I miss those days of playing out at the playground with all of the kids all afternoon. But, it is also very nice to be done with school.
This bread is like cake and my kids love it. I put 4 cups of Zucchini in instead of the 2 cups it calls for. You can make 5 mini loaves or 2 large loaves. Make sure to have some milk close by. I made it as a cake also and baked it in a 9 by 13 pan for about 40 to 45 minutes. I topped it with chocolate butter cream icing (recipe is listed under the recipe for PB cup cake) and it was awesome.

Ingredients:
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
6 Tablespoons cocoa mixed with 2 Tablespoons of oil (or 2 oz bakers chocolate, which I never have)
2 cups Zucchini (I use 4 cups)
1 cup oil (or applesauce)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups flour (I have used 1/2 whole wheat before and it turned out well)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (I never add this, not a fan of cinnamon and chocolate mix)
1 cup of chocolate chips (I usually use 1 1/2 cups, because I like too)

Preheat oven to 350, grease pans. Beat eggs, add sugar, oil, stir in vanilla and cocoa/oil mixture. In a separate bowl mix dry ingredients together. Add liquid ingredients to dry (I think that is what you are supposed to do to avoid lumps, or do it the other way if you wish). Mix until well blended. Pour into greased pans. Bake large loaves for 45 min, smaller loaves about 35 minutes. Test with toothpick, if it comes out clean they are done.

No comments: