Thursday, May 6, 2010

Pizza Bianca



My husband ordered something like this when we went out to eat one night. It was really good and was a hit. I tried to recreate it and came close.

Pizza Crust:
3 cups flour (I usually use 1/2 whole wheat or oats that I grind up in the blender and 1/2 white flour)
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon milk
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons yeast
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
(Or you could just use a store bought crust)

Toppings:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Garlic (Optional, I would use minced)
Mozzarella cheese, sliced (I prefer the kind that comes in a ball, but whatever kind you have is fine, shredded would work great too)
Roma tomatoes, sliced
Fresh basil, chopped

For Crust: Heat water in microwave for 1 minute. Add 1 Tablespoon EVOO, sugar, salt, milk, and yeast and stir. Let sit for a few minutes. Put 1/2 flour in mixer. Add water and put it on the knead cycle. Add the rest of the flour. There have been times when I have needed extra flour so don't put it away. Knead for a few minutes, the dough will be a little sticky, but will mostly hold together on the kneading paddle. Remove bowl from mixer, pour about 1 tablespoon of EVOO in mixing bowl. Turn dough. Cover, let rise for 1 hour.

Time for Pizza: Preheat oven to 425. Brush a pan (with sides) generously with olive oil. Roll out pizza crust and brush top of crust with olive oil. Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes (I put it in the oven before it is done preheating). Remove from oven. Sprinkle with garlic (I don't do this because it gives me heartburn right now), add tomatoes, then cheese. Bake for about 15 minutes, until cheese is melted. Remove from oven, add basil. It was really, really, really good. We like to dip the crust in a combo of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

No comments: