Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Chili and Cornbread Casserole


I made this with meat and beans that I had frozen in the freezer, it took less than 10 minutes to prepare. This is one of the easiest meals I have made in awhile and most liked it. If I had been more ambitious, I would have roasted some peppers and pureed them with the beans so that the kids would not have seen the beans. But, whatever, they can deal with it. If you only need an 8 by 8 pan, cut this in half)

Ingredients:
2 to 3 cups cooked meat (I used left over pork roast, but you can use beef or chicken too)
2 to 3 cups cooked beans (or 1 can of beans, drained), I used black beans for this one.
1 to 2 cups salsa (I had about 1 1/2 left in a jar)
1 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes (drained, I did puree mine so that it would be more like a sauce)
Chili powder (I used 1 1/2 Tablespoons, you may want more depending on your family's taste)
Ground cumin (I used 1 teaspoon, again adjust to your families taste)
Chopped Cilantro (about 2 Tablespoons, optional)
2 packages of corn muffin/bread mix and ingredients needed to make cornbread from package instructions. (Mine was milk, butter, and eggs)
1 can of corn (optional)
Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat meat, beans, salsa, tomatoes, and spices in pan until heated through. Add cilantro if using. Spray 9 by 13 pan with cooking spray. Add chili. Mix ingredients for cornbread, add corn and cheese, and spread on top of chili. Bake for 30 minutes or until cornbread looks done on top.

No comments: