Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sweet Potato Waffles


It has been awhile since I have been motivated to cook up a ton of veggies to sneak into my kids food. But, I am back to that point and loving it. First of all check out the size of this sweet potato. It is HUGE!! That is the biggest burner on my stove that it is on.


I got this recipe at Cooks.com, but changed it a little bit. It is really good, but while I was making it I remembered why I don't make waffles that often for our family. It takes a long time to make enough. I think I need to invest in a second waffle maker. I love fresh waffles. I doubled the recipe to make enough for all of us. I didn't have OJ, so I used apple juice and it was great. I also ended up adding about 1/4 cup of milk to think it out. These weren't crispy, but seriously, the kids loved them. I also added about 1/2 cup of ground up flax seed (would be 1/4 cup if not doubled).

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of cooked, mashed sweet potato
3 eggs
4 Tablespoons of butter (I melted mine, I think next time I will use 1/2 butte rand 1/2 applesauce or canola oil)
2 Tablespoons sugar (I used brown sugar)
1 Cup flour (I used whole wheat) I also added
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I didn't add this, not a fan of cinnamon all of the time)
1/4 Cup orange juice (I used apple juice)
2/3 cup milk (I used a bit more, at least 2 more tablespoons, if not 1/4 cup)
few drops of vanilla

Mix ingredients in mixer (the recipe suggests a food processor, but my mixer worked fine and you could probably do it by hand too). Batter gets thicker upon standing. Add milk if needed.
Bake in waffle pan according to directions. Top with fresh fruit and syrup. Mine are topped with fresh sliced peaches.

No comments: