Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Joy of Motherhood Comes in Moments

I have often heard this said by several wise mothers who I admire. Today was one of those moments, and it was great.

I really enjoyed working with my kids today to take care of the yard. My two oldest mowed their share of the lawn without complaint.

I weeded the flowerbeds with my 5 year old and learned that she loves crickets and worms, but is afraid of spiders.

My 4 year old is great at picking up sticks.

My 2 year old brought me every piece of play food she could find to feel to her new baby sister.

I painted my 11 year old's nails.

I helped my 10 year old write a talk for church about how Jesus is a God of Miracles. I really just had to type it. He knew his stuff.

My newborn smiled at me.

EVERYONE ate dinner.

My husband took the oldest 5 kids for a bike ride.

The kids played in a huge dirt pile after dinner, and were totally filthy. They had a great time, and of course, I had just cleaned the tub that morning. But that is okay.

I got to go for a 45 minute walk. A police car drove by and DIDN'T go to my house. Thoughts and fears I had about that when I saw the car drive by are for another entry.

These are the days when I am okay with school NOT starting so soon. My prayers will be full of gratitude tonight for the great day I had with the family.

6 comments:

d.n.williamson said...

Another great post! I bawled my eyes out watching Hatchi. Have you seen it? Richard Gere and a dog and a train station...Great family flick.

kristen said...

I'll have to rent it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Macey said...

I miss you, Kristen. I love that I can still know your family through posts just like this! Thank you! It was great to see Mike and the some of the kids. We love you!

kristen said...

I miss my friends in Elkhorn more than you guys can know. I have made some great friends here too, I wish you could all just join us out here.

Heather said...

Sounds like a great day! Schoole starts tomorrow here. I am not ready for summer to end. Friend wrote on her blog how she is going to try and enjoy life a little bit more. I thought your post implied the same. I am going to try to be better!

Aunt Tate said...

You are a cheese ball! You forgot to say, "I got to talk to my favorite sister, Kate, and I am soooooooo grateful for her humor and sassiness!"