Sunday, August 8, 2010

Garage Sales




I used to go to garage sales all of the time. I stopped because I realized that I was getting too much stuff. I would go looking for something, but then come home with 5 other things, but not what I originally went there to buy. I am not a snob of used things, ask any of my friends. Used stuff is fine with me. I just end up buying stuff that I don't really need. My husband got to see how addictive the shopping can be...

So, my husband decides that he needs a bike to go on bike rides with the kids and that he is going to go the garage sale route to get one. That is fine. He even left the house on Saturday around 7:30 to go on this shopping adventure.

He called at 7:35. "Do you want a grill?" Absolutely, since the grill I make him use now is a small, wimpy, camp grill that he begs me not to make him grill burgers on one more time. The house on the corner was selling one. So, we got that.

He calls at 8:30. "Do you want a shovel?"
Me: "No, I got one when we moved. Where are you?"
Mike: "At a flea market. They just have some yard tools here, but I won't get any." Which, he didn't, he is better than I.

He calls at 9:00.
Mike: "Do we need a baby swing? This one is $5, battery operated, and works."
Me: "Yes, I sold ours at our yard sale in WI when I thought we were done having kids for "awhile".

Then my friend calls: "We are at a yard sale, did you say you were looking for a play kitchen set? Oh shoot, this one just sold. We'll keep our eyes out for you."

See, I don't need to go to yard sales, I just have people call me. Then I am not the one who is the impulsive shopper. Needless to say, we did not get a bike this weekend. We did get a grill, grill utensils, a tie rack, and a swing. $40 well spent, and I didn't spend any of it.

No comments: