Saturday, August 7, 2010

Fresh Tomato and Basil Salad


Whenever we go to a good Italian restaurant, my husband and I always order "Caprese". It is a delicious mix of fresh tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella cheese with a yummy dressing. I tried to copy it, but I don't know how close it is to the real thing. However, Mike and I downed this salad and only one of the kids got a piece, and he really liked it. The others had watermelon and we didn't encourage them to eat the tomatoes because we wanted them. Totally selfish, I know, but it was really good. Fresh tomatoes and basil are 2 of my favorite products of summer.

Ingredients:
2 to 3 large, ripe tomatoes
1/2 pound mozzarella cheese (I prefer the kind that comes in a ball, packed in water, but you can use a block of cheese too)
10 basil leaves (or more if you like) torn
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
salt and pepper to taste


Slice tomatoes and cheese. Layer tomatoes, cheese, and stick part of a basil leaf between them. Whisk oil, vinegar, garlic, and sugar together (I mix it in my magic bullet). Add salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle dressing over tomatoes and cheese. Top with any left over basil. This is so good over garlic bread. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

d.n.williamson said...

Yummy! One of my favs. We use Neuman's Balsamic Vinaigrette. We also like to add sliced avocado. Man, now I want some...