Friday, October 22, 2010

Sneaky Veggie Loaded Leftovers Shepherd's Pie, Italian Style (I think)


Why is it called "Shepherd's Pie"? This picture does not do this dish justice. Anyway...this has been a "Whatever Is In My Fridge" week. I am trying to stay away from the store this week and just use what I have. This turned out really well and was SOOOOOOO easy to make because I used left over roast and instant potatoes. There was only a little bit left at the end of the night, ahhhhhh, success. (And there are a lot of veggies in it, shhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell my kids.)

Ingredients:
Left over roast (I had at least 1 pound of left over pork roast, maybe more like 2 pounds), shredded
1 red pepper (optional)
1 onion (optional)
1/2 bag spinach, chopped
1 14 oz can of Italian flavored tomatoes, pureed
1 small can of tomato paste
2 pouches of instant potatoes, made according to directions on box
mozzarella cheese, shredded parmesan cheese would be good too.

Preheat oven to 350. Make potatoes according to package directions. In a pot heat up roast, add pureed tomatoes and tomato paste. Chop and saute onion and red pepper (I drizzle the veggies with olive oil and roast them in the oven at 400 for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring once. I just really like the flavor it gives to the veggies.) Add to meat (I pureed the veggies so that they are not picked out of the meal). Add to meat, add spinach. Heat through. Add salt and pepper if needed. In 9 by 13 pan spread potatoes. Then top with meat mixture. Top with cheese. Heat in oven until heated through and cheese melts (I think mine was in for 25 to 30 minutes.) Enjoy this meal on a cold day, I love comfort food that is actually good for you too.

No comments: