Monday, January 31, 2011

Tomato Soup

This started out as "Whatever I have in my fridge that I don't want to go bad soup". I made this soup and added some left over Rotini pasta with meat sauce we had the other night and this is what I got from my son, and I quote: "Mom, this is like THE best soup you have ever made, seriously." So, we will be making this again. This soup is very versatile. You can add meatballs, chicken, ground beef, whole wheat pasta, or brown rice. I really like it with fresh basil when I can find it for a reasonable price. I served it with grilled cheese for the kiddos. Hope you enjoy.
When I entered all ingredients (without add ins), the calculated calories per serving (makes about 16 cups) was 85 calories.

Ingredients:
1 Red Pepper, cut in chunks
1 Yellow Pepper, cut in chunks
1 onion, cut in chunks
Half a bag of baby carrots
1 Butternut squash (usually about two pounds, you want at least one pound) peeled, seeded and cut in chunks
2 1/2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil - divided (2 T for roasting veggies, 1/2 T for sauteing the garlic)
2 15 oz. cans of Italian seasoned tomatoes (stewed or diced, whatever you got)
4 cloves of garlic (or more if you want) , chopped (I just use the kind in the jar - about 2 teaspoons)
8 cups chicken broth (I use fat free, no msg, etc)
1 packet Good Seasons Italian Dressing Mix (or similar kind of dressing mix)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Tablespoon of sugar if needed
Fresh spinach (optional)
Add ins - grilled or shredded chicken, meatballs, pasta, rice, ground beef, beans
If you want more of a tomato taste you can add tomato juice, or another can of tomatoes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prep veggies, drizzle with 2 Tablespoons of EVOO. Roast on a rimmed cookie sheet, or in a 9 by 13 pan for 40 minutes, stirring once. Allow them to cool a bit and puree with tomatoes in blender or food processor. In a LARGE pot heat 1/2 Tablespoon oil. Add garlic and saute for about a minute. Add puree and chicken broth. Mix well, bring to a boil. Add Good Seasons mix and turn down to simmer. Allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes to let flavors mix. Before serving, add chopped or torn fresh spinach leaves or pasta if using. If I am using pasta, I put the pasta in the bowl first and ladle soup over it. Otherwise the pasta gets kind of gross.

No comments: