Saturday, January 1, 2011

Marinated Veggie Salad


This salad was so easy, and makes A LOT. My sister in law brought a marinated broccoli salad to Christmas dinner and I loved it. I was trying to think of something healthy to bring to a New Years party and this is what I came up with after devouring her salad, which is very similar. This makes a lot, and the veggies stay pretty crisp, so it can last for a few days. You can use any combo of veggies, but this is what I had on hand and used. For best results, make this the night before, or in the morning, so veggies have a chance to marinate for awhile. It is really, really good. Did I say I like this salad a lot?

Ingredients:
Broccoli
1 to 2 Red Peppers
1 Green Pepper
2 Cucumbers, peeled
1 package of sliced mushrooms (I used the "Baby Bella" kind, they were really good.)
1 quart of grape tomatoes
1/2 pound of good Mozzarella cheese, cut in cubes (you could also use Feta cheese and that would be really good too).
I didn't use an onion, but a red onion or sweet onion, sliced would be good too.
Good Seasons dressing mix, prepared according to package directions. (I found a GS mix for making Bruschetta, it is REALLY good, I highly recommend it.)

In a large bowl, layer salad, putting broccoli on the bottom, then whatever else you want, with tomatoes and cheese on the top (I actually kept my cheese seperate and marinated it in some dressing as well and then put it on top of veggies when it was time to serve the salad.) Pour dressing over veggies and cover. Refridgerate for several hours (I made it in the morning) and every time you open the fridge, turn the bowl upside down, or stir veggies. I wanted mine to have a layered look, so I turned the covered bowl upside down. (Be careful, if your lid doesn not seal, because dressing will leak all over you. I put the lid on and then wrapped press n' seal around the edges to be sure they were sealed and I didn't end up wearing my salad.) Enjoy.

No comments: