Thursday, July 14, 2011

Blueberry Pie - SOOOOOOOOO EASY

I just bought my second box of blueberries this season. When I say I box, I don't mean a quart, I mean a 20 pound box. No, I didn't accidentally push the 0. It really is 20 pounds. Can you tell we love those "Jersey Blues". Some of the best things in life do really come from Jersey. Blueberries and...my mom. Anyway, this is my latest blueberry creation, and it was really, really good. There are 2 versions of it, both were gobbled up fast!!!

1 pie crust - I use this pie crust (I have also used all oats, no flour, just blended them so they are super fine.)
1/2 Cup flour
1/2 Cup butter
1/3 Cup brown sugar
1 1/2 Cup oatmeal
blend oatmeal and flour in blender, add sugar, then mix in butter. Press into pie pan. Bake at 350 for 15 min.

For pie:
Version 1:
1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk (Nectar of the Gods)
1 8 oz. block cream cheese softened
3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice

Version 2:
1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk (Nectar of the Gods)
16 oz. Ricotta Cheese
3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice

For both, cream the ricotta cheese or cream cheese. Mix in Condensed milk (trying to exercise all self control to not drink half the can) and lemon juice until well blended. Send kids outside and pour mixture into pie crust. Then take your time licking the bowl, try not to get it all over your face so that when kids come in for a potty break they don't see the evidence. The ricotta cheese version needed to sit in the fridge for several hours for the mixture to get cheesecake like. The cream cheese version firmed up faster. When creamy filling is firm, pile high with blueberries, as much as you want. This would also work well with strawberries, and many other fruit.