Monday, June 7, 2010

"See, Mom..."

I loved saying this to my mom when I was younger, and it still gives me some pleasure today. "See, Mom..." and then telling her some how that what she had said was wrong, or a theory disproved. Well, I have had a few of those moments where my children really are right, in humility I admit. However, I was not expecting this to be one of them.

My 9 year old is playing baseball this year. He has not had a lot of luck hitting and decided that this purple softball bat with pink writing on it that he found in our garage was now his lucky bat. I bought this bat 3 years ago for my daughter to use during t-ball, it is definitely TOO SHORT for him. He insisted on taking it to the game. (Now, I have to admit, in all humility, that I do know my stuff when it comes to softball/baseball. I played, was pretty good, on 2 State Championship All-Star teams. So, I know what I am talking about here.)

I thought, "Surely, his coach will see this bat and realize it is NOT a baseball bat and IS WAY TOO SHORT." It is Joe's turn to bat and I see him swinging this bat around. I quickly waddle up to the backstop and tell him, in front of his friends and coaches, "Joe, that bat is way too short and it is a softball bat, you need to pick another bat." He refuses and his coach says, "He was hitting with it during practice, just let him try it." So, whose team is HE on anyway? Doesn't he know I am the BOSS???

Joe is in the batter's box and I am praying he hits the ball, just because it has been so long since he connected. And...he hits a grounder, right up the first base line. Unfortunately he was out. But as he trotted back to the bench, just glad to have hit the ball it came out. "See, Mom, I told you that was my lucky bat." I congratulated him and then waddled back to my seat trying not to look too embarrassed. Seriously, that bat is so short I do not know HOW ON EARTH he hit that ball. His next at bat, he used a different bat and struck out. I didn't make a scene that he had to use a different bat this time, because of my embarrassment last time. He has vowed to use the purple bat with the pink writing every time now.

Okay, so that was the one time this month that he is allowed to be right, I am sure there will be many, many, many more times.

No comments: