Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Lighter Yellow Cake (with pumpkin snuck in)

I am wanting cake today. So, trying to stay under my calorie count for the day, I am making a lighter cake, and sneaking veggies into my kiddos (I really have a problem with that). So - here it is. I found this new recipe for icing that I LOVE, and it has less sugar than regular frosting. Click here for the frosting. I seriously could eat it all day. It says to whip the butter and sugar together until sugar isn't grainy anymore - it takes a little while - but SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it. Actually, the granules never really melted into the butter until I added to mixture that you cook. (I got my stand up mixer out for this one, whipped the butter and sugar for over 5 min. It looked like whipped cream.) Enjoy!!!

Yellow cake mix
Water (whatever the box calls for)
1/2 cup canned pumpkin (You could probably use more, I only had 1/2 cup in my fridge from sneaking it into cheesecake. You also could use pureed squash or sweet potato.)
6 egg whites
1 Tablespoon canola oil

Mix together, bake according to box instructions. Makes 12 servings at 197 calories a piece (without the frosting).

2 comments:

Heather said...

I can't see you post about your half marathon! Is it now on a different blog? I hope you had a great run!

Kristen said...

I forgot to post it. Sorry. Thanks for the reminder. Hope you are doing well.