Wednesday, January 18, 2012

REALLY good chili

So, I have kind of fallen off the planet when it comes to this blog. I trained for and ran the 15 K hot chocolate run in DC, and then Christmas came, and I get tunnel vision when that happens. But, I wanted to share this recipe with you. It is something you can double or triple and freeze. I found a recipe called "The BEST Chili You Will Ever Taste" at Food.com. I tweaked it a bit because I don't have coffee, or beer, and I didn't have any cubed sirloin. My changes worked and it turned out really well, and it was EASY. I have veggies that I have already cut up and roasted in the freezer, so that I can just add them to the recipes. Having a prep day is key to sneaking all kinds of veggies into my kids food. This recipe is FULL of food that is SOOOOOOOO good for you and your kids, just try it - they will NEVER guess that there are 4 different veggies, plus beans in it. I LOVE making stuff in the crock pot, and this was an easy one. I served it with baked potatoes. Enjoy!!!

2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 onions, cut in chunks
1 red pepper cut in chunks
3 pounds lean ground beef, turkey, or chicken (I used chicken because that is what was in the freezer.)
1 cup pureed butternut squash (Optional, but it is really good, it has a mild, sweet taste and is VERY good for you. To prep squash, peel, scoop out seeds, cut in chunks, drizzle with EVOO, roast with other veggies.)
You could also roast some carrots and add them if you want.
4 garlic cloves (or 2 teaspoons chopped garlic in a jar.)
1 28 oz. diced tomatoes (I puree these because my kids are not chunky veggie fans.)
2 6 oz. cans of tomato paste
1 can of coke
1 Tablespoon chili powder (the recipe called for 3 1/2 T of chili sauce, I didn't have that.)
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon oregano
1/8 teaspoon cayenne (Had I not been making this for my kids I would have used more.)
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon salt
1 can refried beans (you can use kidney beans, but my kids don't like beans, if they know they are in there.)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drizzle 1 Tablespoon EVOO over onion and red peppers. Toss and put in 9 by 13 pan and roast in the oven for 40 min, stirring at least once. Remove from oven, cool for a few minutes and puree, adding a little water so it has enough liquid to puree. Heat large pan on stove, add the rest of EVOO, saute garlic for a few minutes. Add meat. Cook until no longer pink. Drain meat and rinse. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer to let flavors mix. Or, cook in crock pot. Add water or beef broth if it gets too thick.

No comments: